Role: Zoom Starter
This post is part of a series intended to become a Mermaid’s Tavern Guide to Zoom Singing publication for folk arts organizations, feature artists, session singers, and online audiences for folk music. We welcome comments below.
The Zoom Starter is a licensed user on the sponsor’s Zoom account. If you have login credentials to that organization’s Zoom, you hold the keys to the meeting. Your only real task is to log in to Zoom and start the meeting, and wait for the designated Zoom Host (Tech A) to join. After that, you can transfer control to the new Zoom Host and leave if you choose. If you are also the Zoom Host and/or MC (compere), you can take on the duties of those roles. Or you can sit back and enjoy the event!
What You Need
- A computer or laptop (not a tablet or smartphone) running Windows, MacOS, or Linux
- Login credentials: the email address and password for the sponsoring organization’s Zoom account. If you don’t have this, you will need to get it from the sponsor, or arrange for one of the sponsors to be the Zoom Starter.
- The name and contact information for the Zoom host for the event
What You Do
To Start the Event
At least 40 minutes before the meeting, log in using the sponsor’s credentials. To be sure you’re using the sponsor’s account and not your own, do the following:
- Launch the Zoom desktop app (not the website).
- In the top right corner of the app window is an icon that shows who is logged in. Click on that and select “Switch Accounts.”
- Log in using the sponsor’s credentials (email and password).
- You should now see a tiny sponsor logo for the icon in the upper right, indicating you’re logged into the sponsor’s account.
- Start the meeting. You should see a meeting, or list of meetings, on the right side of the Zoom app window. (If you don’t see the list, you’ll need to click on the “Meetings” icon at the very top of the window). Click “Start” next to the sing-around meeting. You are now the temporary “Zoom Host” for the meeting.
Until the designated Zoom Host arrives, you’ll be filling that role by letting performers and co-hosts in from the waiting room. Watch out for any early arrivals from the audience who may be in the waiting room, and ideally let in only cast and crew until the designated host arrives.
When the designated Zoom Host arrives, transfer the host role to them. To do so, click on the 3-dot menu at upper right of their picture, and select the option to make them the host.
During the Event
You can now remain at the meeting or leave if you choose.
When Leaving the Event
IMPORTANT - when you leave the meeting, be sure to change your Zoom app back to your own account. If not, you will automatically log in as the sponsor for any subsequent Zoom meetings you attend! To switch back to your own account, use the same process as you did above, except use the email and password for your own personal Zoom account to log in.