Crosscurrents: Have I really been at this for 20 years?

Since 1986, I have been researching and presenting traditional music, living history, and heritage interpretation under the banner of Crosscurrents: Sense of Place in Song and Story. Sometimes called Bluewater and Whitewater Music, this work has taken me down wild rivers in every province and territory in Canada; to a Russian monastery and an Icelandic glacier; to a shamanic workshop on the ancient Vikings; and to untold maritime adventures, from being rescued by a Newfoundland dog in Boston Harbor to sailing a tall ship in Penobscot Bay. And then there was celebrating my birthday at a whisky distillery...not to mention my current adventures of joining a Breton folk-rock band and running a monthly chantey sing at MIT.

In celebration of the past 20 years of musical journeys, I decided to start this blog to share my newest research and to make myself write down some of the more splendid memories. I hope to find blogging informal enough that these tales would actually get written down, and public enough that I could share them with the folks who made them possible. Hopefully, some of you who share my travels will be moved to share your versions of our adventures together. But first and foremost, consider this a draft for your review!

Comments